A few days ago, my neighbor brought over a container of freshly picked blueberries. I haven’t had time to get to the local berry farm and the wildlife have eaten all the berries from my bushes, and Summer is almost over, so I was really happy. I have the best neighbors.
But what to do with them?
I didn’t have enough for jam. Besides, that takes too long.
I had bought a blueberry peach cake at the farmers’ market last week. That’s out.
I wanted something different and quick.
So, this is what I came up with. You can’t go wrong with these. They are buttery and flaky. They take no time at all. They are sweet, but not too sweet. And best of all, their portable. Try and stuff a piece of blueberry pie in a ziplock bag and throw it in your purse. It doesn’t turn out very well. Not that I would know. I’m just guessing. Really.
Blueberry Hand Pies
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
pinch of salt
2 T. cornstarch plus 2 T. cold water
1 package puff pastry dough, thawed
1 egg white
flour for dusting
1. Over medium heat cook blueberries, water, sugar and salt until it reaches a slow
boil. Stir frequently.
2. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together
3. Slowly pour into blueberries, stirring without crushing berries and simmer until
thickened, aprroximately 5 minutes. Let cool.
4. Preheat oven to 375F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
5. Mix egg white in a small dish
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a rectangle. With a sharp knife or pizza
cutter, cut into rectangles ( I made them into approximately 6×5 size).
7. Working with each rectangle, brush edges with egg white mixture and fill with 2-3 T.
8. Fold in half and seal with the tines of a fork
9. Plae on prepared baking sheet
10. Brush with egg white mixture and cut slits for steam to escape and sprinkle generously
with coarse sugar.
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
Let them cool, or hey, throw caution to the wind and throw it on a plate, warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. And if you don’t have time to make these little beauties, the blueberry sauce is delicious on it’s own over vanilla ice cream with some whipped cream, or poured over waffles or pancake. Make some today before Summer’s gone. Go!