Ok, so I told you I was trying again.
And I did.
And, I must say I had much better success the second time around. It was not perfect. But it was 100 gazillion times better than the gelatinous muck that ended up in the trash the first time around. And if you’re wondering, yes, I will be trying these again. And again until they are just the way I want them. I imagine I will be able to make them in my sleep by the time that happens.
Here is what I did wrong the first time. Don’t do this!
I did not use the proper ingredient. Dry Non-fat milk. I didn’t have any. Really, why would I? So in desperation, I Googled a substitution. It said I could use milk as a subsitute for dry milk. Anyone else immediately see something wrong with that?
“Hmmm, it calls for a dry ingredient, but I’m going to add wet.”
Well, my gut was right. Hence the soupy, sticky piles of goo.
Needless to say, I followed the recipe to the letter and my second attempt contained non-fat dry milk. You can see the difference in texture. It actually felt like dough. I did use the mixer method and I liked that better than the bread machine method, although I will have to try the bread machine method again, as I am not sure it is a good comparison since the ingredients were off.
As a very inexperienced bread maker, I found it to be a bit daunting of a task. Simply because of all the waiting. I hate waiting for anything. An hour here. Another hour there.
I am curious as to how to actually bake bread if, God forbid you actually have to leave the house. Does anyone know? Please share! I’m curious.
I will say, I did call the King Arthur Flour hotline and ask how to make the starter if I wasn’t using it within 15 hours (the recipe says to let sit overnight or within 15 hours) and she told me start it before bed and put it in the refrigerator so I would be able to use it in the afternoon. Of course. this presented another problem because I had to let it come to room temperature before I could make the dough.
By the time the bread was ready for the oven, it was 10:30 at night. I would have preferred dreaming of making bread rather than actually doing it.
But, it smelled fantastic, until the smoke detectors went off.
Scary, as my children did not even wake up! Time for a fire drill. Will follow up on that later.
I made the mistake (yes another one) and used a dark bottom sheet pan. The bottoms were a little darker than I would have liked, but they didn’t burn and I have to say, the bread was rather tasty and the texture was right. Lots of little holes! Perfect for a drizzle of olive oil.
So, since it was not perfect. Here are the changes I will make in the next batch and I think it will be perfect!
- I will save this project for a day when I can get it done earlier
- I will use light colored pans covered with parchment, or Silpat sheets if my husband wants to buy them for my b-day *hint*
- I will make them a little thicker and smaller for sandwich size rolls
Here is the recipe/tutorial again if you want to give it a shot. Let me know how it turns out!