Did you know?
- Research shows you sleep better during a new moon and worse during a full moon, although scientists don’t know why
- We only dream of faces we have already seen, whether we actually remember them or not
- Humans are the only mammals that willingly delay sleep
- Doing without sleep is likely to make you hungry as levels of leptin, an appetite suppressing hormone drop
- 75% of us dream in color. Prior to color television only 15% did
- It takes two weeks to die of starvation and only 10 days without sleep
- Whales and dolphins, literally fall half asleep. Each side of their brain takes turns to continue to breathe
- Insomnia is a natural part of grieving. Taking sleeping pills can disrupt the process
- Being awake for 16 hours straight decreases your performance as much as if your blood alcohol content was .05% (the legal limit is .08%)
- Dysania: the state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning. It may signal a nutritional disorder, depression or other medical cause
- Sea otters hold hands when they fall asleep so they don’t drift. aw
- Tiredness peaks twice a day, at 2:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m.
- Within 5 minutes of waking up 50% of your dream is forgotten. After 10 minutes 90% is gone
- Different age groups need different amounts of sleep. Babies: 16 hours, Ages 3-18: 10 hours, Ages 19-55: 8 hours, Over 65: 6 hours